Trucking Insurance

Trucking Program

As a private carrier, you are responsible for hauling goods in your own truck for your company or employer. Whether you’re working in construction, excavation, manufacturing, or any other private carrier capacity, we have trucking insurance solutions for you.

Primary Liability – Every trucker/trucking company who operates under their own authority is required to carry primary liability coverage on all owned units and either provide this insurance for their leased vehicles or ensure that the leased operator carries it on their own.  Generally, the motor carrier provides this coverage for the leased operators but there are rare instances when this is not the case.

Cargo Insurance – Provides coverage for loss or damage to the property a truck is transporting (the load). Generally, though not always, provided by the motor carrier for leased operators.

Physical Damage (Collision, Specified Perils) – Provides coverage for repair or replacement due to damage resulting from a covered loss (collision, fire, theft, hail, windstorm, earthquake, flood, mischief, or vandalism) to owned vehicles.

Occupational Accident – Product designed specifically for owner operators in the trucking industry. In most states, by being self-employed owner operators can opt out of state mandated workers compensation coverage. While not the same as workers compensation, occ/acc is similar in scope and intent.

Most motor carriers require their leased operators to be covered either by workers compensation or occ/acc at the leased operators expense. For those who qualify, occ/acc is generally a lower cost alternative.

FMCSA Requirements

Blue River Insurance Group offers liability coverage that fulfills the insurance filing requirements set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration for owner-operators within the commercial trucking industry.

In addition to filing an application for operating authority, all applicants for motor carrier, freight forwarder, and broker authorities must have specific insurance documents on file before the FMCSA will issue the authorities. The minimum requirements for freight or passengers are below:

  • Freight: $750,000 – $5,000,000, depending on commodities transported; $300,000 for non-hazardous freight moved only in vehicles weighing under 10,001 lbs.
  • Passengers: $5,000,000; $1,500,000 for registrants operating only vehicles with seating capacity of 15 or fewer passengers.

You should prepare to purchase your liability insurance as soon as you obtain your designated docket (DOT) number as the FMCSA must receive notification within 90 days in order to approve and release your authority. Once you purchase your insurance policy, the insurance company files the appropriate forms with the FMCSA informing them you have the required coverage.

For additional info, visit

Cost of Insurance

Once you obtain your DOT number, you can expect commercial trucking insurance premiums to range from $1,200 to $2,000 per month for a single driver, one truck, one trailer operation. Most carriers will also require 20% down ($2,400 to $4,000) to get started.  Progressive is the largest writer of new trucking authorities in the country.

After you’ve had your policy for 12 months, there could be additional insurance options available besides Progressive.

How to get started on your quote

To get started on your quote, call our office or click over to our Business Insurance page. Either way we'll make the process simple!